There are so many things to say about my wonderful mother, those of you that know her know what an amazing person she is and how much she inspires the people around her. Her faith amazes me. But I also know that she doesn't like big long sappy cards or speeches or blog posts...so I thought this year that I would share a few funny stories about my mom :)
One time, a long time ago, when Brittany and I were much younger, we had to stay home alone for a very short amount of time while my mom finished up class and my dad was at work (you know where I'm going with this, don't you mom and Britt?). For some reason known only to God and herself, Brittany managed to flood the downstairs bathroom and subsequently the entire downstairs of our house. I didn't know that you could turn the water off at the toilet in the bathroom, so it just kept going and going and going. We tried to call dad, but he wasn't at his desk and in a moment of desperation I called and told his co-worker who came out to our house and turned off the water and fixed the drain in the basement (because the water was going down the stairs into the basement). When my mom got home and heard the story, she very dramatically threw her school bags down and we were sentenced to our rooms. I really thought we were going to die and I was so mad because I didn't do anything and I had mopped it all up!! Looking back now, I can't believe I called my dad's office, and I can see why she was so upset, but it's also quite funny to think that we just sat there and let the house flood.
One of the best memories I have is when I was in college and she would come to visit and I would get to go stay at the hotel with her and we would go to Wal Mart and buy those really yummy creme horn things and sit in bed and eat them. I can't even tell you how much I looked forward to those visits!!
And speaking of college, I remember moving in my first semester of freshman year and discovering I had a roommate from you-know-where and her crazy mom (who wore panty hose with shorts) telling my mom that she needed to iron my curtains. I learned from my mom how to smile through anger that day!!
I remember her being so upset that Brittany and I fought so much in high school and telling us that we needed to treat each other better so that we would grow up and be friends one day, and boy was she right! Thankfully we were able to get past our differences of who was wearing the right pair of jeans and who stole the other's shirt and become friends anyway :)
I remember going to Gulf Shores on vacation growing up and playing putt putt and singing inside the volcano, so much fun!!
I remember that she taught me how to put on makeup the right way, to wear a slip so I wouldn't have panty lines, to drive with my knees when I needed both hands, that a Starbucks or a Diet Coke can fix most bad days...I'm so glad I inherited from her my love of reading, the ability to see the big picture in things and to remember that no matter how bad life gets or what problems are thrown at you, nothing is too big for my God!!
I love you so much mom, and thank you for all these happy memories and life lessons, thank you for always being there for me and for listening to me, and for teaching me and most of all for loving me no matter what. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)




2 comments:
Lindsay, thank you so much for this sweet post. I love you so much and I'm glad I didn't kill you and Britt for the whole house-flooding debacle..... Actually, it was my fault for leaving you two alone in the house!! I hope your day today is great!
I think your mom is one of the best, too! :) And I think the mommy you have become has indeed made your mom proud. You are a wonderful mommy; hope your day was great!
Post a Comment